Why are we doing this????With all of the great "mommy bloggers", there are so many cute ideas out there, we can't do all of them. So, how do you pick the best activities for you and your child? Lately, I've been trying to formulate a philosophy of teaching and learning to gage the activities and see if they are a good fit for us. My oldest son is 2 and my youngest son is 6 months so this is definitely a "working document" that I expect will change. However, here are some of the things I've thought about so far. (Many of these pertain to my 2 year old only). In my ideal learning environment:
- Learning is fun and play centered. (Once he loses interest, we stop. Sometimes we come back to it later, sometimes not.)
- I follow the lead of the child.
- I allow him to explore his interests yet I guide him to try new things.
- I help him transfer his knowledge into new settings.
- I model what I want to teach him rather than using a lot of words. (Show, don't tell).
Do you currently hold a philosophy of teaching and learning? What guides that philosphy? I'd love to hear your comments.