I reached out to my online community of moms for help in planning car activities. I love being a mommy blogger. There are so many amazing mom resources right at your fingertips. As a member of we teach, I often find helpful tips in the discussion boards. I posted this question in my "we teach two year olds" group, "We're going on a family vacation this weekend!! Any suggestions for car activities for a 2 year old?" And I received enough ideas that I could probably consider a road trip cross country and have enough activities for my boy!!
You wanna see my packing list?
- Books- Logan really likes the cheesy books that play music or make noises. So I did pack 2 of those... along with some favorite titles.
- Felt board- I had recently made this roll up felt board from ehow.com and then Mary Anne at Mama Smiles shared her free templates for felt shapes and dress up bears!
- I Spy Book- Michelle at This and That About Kids shared this simple foam I Spy Book. It took about 5 minutes to make!! (I heart easy.)
- Stickers + paper + crayons + clipboard
- Felt Threading Activity - The Activity Mom posted this idea a few weeks ago. I think it will be perfect for a car ride. (BTW, The Activity Mom Blog is like crack to me. I am addicted. And check this out, she just opened an etsy store so you could just go there and buy some sweet travel activities! I'm totally shopping there once I convince my hubs that we DO need more educational toys and games!)
- CDs of Music and stories
- Sticker books (I got these at a Used Book sale. They were only missing 1 sticker!)
Seriously, there were so many more ideas given to me. Some of my other favorites were small erasers to drop into a water bottle and dump, aquadoodle travel sheets (I'm going to try and find these for Christmas), and a bag of small stuffed animals to play with both in the car and @ your destination. If you want to check it out, join up at we teach. Here is a link.
Visit we teach
Well, I'm outta here. I will not be showing my pretty little face in bloggy world for a few days. I am going to relax and eat a lot and listen to my baby say, "ma-ma" all weekend (He just started it yesterday!!) as he crawls (also started this week) around on hotel floor. (ewww)