Do try to distract your child when he brings you that "favorite" book that you've read 1,000 times too often?
Sometimes you need a fresh routine and spring is the perfect time to bring some freshness.
- Try visiting a new section of the library. If you frequently check out fiction books, give non-fiction a try. If you are stuck on picture books, branch out to chapter books.
- Invite your child to try new books by putting books in visible locations or inviting environments. Try grouping your books together in an interesting subject. For instance, my oldest loves fish. I put some fish books into a summer pail and left it near the back door. I told him we could read some of those books out on the deck. He was more than willing to try them out!
- I saw this great idea on Teach Mama to put all of your library books out for a book parade. By spotlighting new library books, your child might be willing to try out a fresh pick.
- Use your acting abilities. My dad used to have the BEST Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear voices. A new book might not seem that interesting to your child but if they hear you reading it in a silly way, they may want to take a listen.
- Bring out the sillies on an old favorite. If you are tired of the same old, same old book, try switching it up. Read some of the words wrong... chances are your child has the book memorized and will love having the opportunity to "correct" your mistakes.
- Build background by doing a book talk or a picture walk of the book before reading the book. When a child knows he will be successful on a book, he is more likely to try it out.
- Do an online search to find if your latest book pick has a book trailer. Similar to a movie trailer, a book trailer is a video clip that introduces new books to readers. Using video is a fun way to switch up a book talk.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Cottonelle blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”
The Cottonelle brand provides innovative comfort solutions for perineal personal care. Cottonelle toilet paper is available in three forms: Cottonelle Ultra toilet paper, Cottonelle Aloe & E toilet paper, and Cottonelle Premium toilet paper. To help people feel cleaner and fresher than with toilet paper alone, Cottonelle offers Cottonelle Fresh Flushable Moist Wipes and Cottonelle SoothingClean Flushable Moist Wipes enriched with Aloe & E.
More info about the Cottonelle Ultra Switch: www.CottonelleUltraSwitch.com